Latgalīšu volūda suociejim
Latgalian for beginners
Here you can find audio materials for learning the Latgalian language. You can use them alone to train listening and reading skills, or in combination with the Latgalian textbook for beginners (to be published autumn 2022).
This course is created for the beginners with the following skill levels: A1, A2, B1.
What will you learn in this course?
The aim of the audio material is to give learners the possiblity to develop their skills in reading and listening Latgalian with English language as a basis. The material is useful for beginner and intermediate level (A1-B1 according to CEFR). Thanks to the translations, you can easily check the meaning of unknown phrases while reading or listening. Additionally, you can train your pronunciation, by pausing the recording and repeating words, phrases, or sentences.
How to use this course?
Thanks to the support from Latvian State Culture Capital Foundation, Latvian State Forests, and the Latgale Region Development Agency within the framework of the Latgale Cultural Program 2020 and 2021, this course is free of charge.
With the desire to contribute to the preservation of Latgalian, the lesser used of the two written traditions of Latvian, we have created material for learners of the language, thinking about young people and adults both in Latvia and elsewhere in the world. Based on a communicative approach to language learning, in this material we have paid special attention to the social aspect of language use – the modern Latgalian language, as it’s spoken today.
The textbook is to be published in summer 2022, but here you find all the audiofiles, recordings of the texts in the book following the four main persons in our story – Odums, Agnieszka, Viktor and Gundega, as well as chats on a (fictive) Latgalian dating app. All texts ar accopagned with translations into English. In addition to that, there are some tasks to train listening skills.
Each of the 24 main texts are given in two versions – a shorter for beginners and a longer one.
Listen to the sound of the language, stop the recording to train the pronuncuation, read and learn through the parallel texts!
In addition, you can use the Latgalian-English dictionary – Vuordineica – in the learning process. Please note that it is still under development!
There have been several persons connected to this project. The material has been developed by House of Languages (Valodu māja / Volūdu sāta) and is based on an idea of Snorre Karkkonen Svensson. The storyline has been written by the fiction authors Ilze Jansone and Elīna Kokareviča. Author of the Latgalian version is Māra Mortuzāne-Muravska. Will Mawhood has translated the texts into English. The audio production is made by Reiga Productions under the lead of Kristaps Rasims.
Please, get in touch with us if you have comments, suggestions, or corrections.
Vysys nūdalis / All chapters
1. nūdaļa / Chapter 1
- 1.1.1. Agneška meklej draugu / Same job, new people
- 1.1.2. Agneška meklej draugu / Same job, new people
- 1.1.3. Latgaliska īsapazeišona / How you doin'?
- 1.2.1. Kū ād tigri? / What do tigers eat?
- 1.2.2. Kū ād tigri? / What do tigers eat?
- 1.2.3. Aizdavumi / Exercises
- 1.3.1. Babeņas dzimšonys dīna / Granny's birthday
- 1.3.2. Babeņas dzimšonys dīna / Granny's birthday
- 1.3.3. Muna saime / My family
2. nūdaļa / Chapter 2
- 2.1.1. Kur vuiceitīs latgalīšu volūdu? / Where can you learn Latgalian?
- 2.1.2. Kur vuiceitīs latgalīšu volūdu? / Where can you learn Latgalian?
- 2.1.3. Cik breineiga mebele! / The carpenter's pick-up line
- 2.2.1. Vacais krāslys / The old chair
- 2.2.2. Vacais krāslys / The old chair
- 2.2.3. Listening exercises
- 2.3.1. Gostūs iz Daugovpili / A trip to Daugavpils
- 2.3.2. Gostūs iz Daugovpili / A trip to Daugavpils
- 2.3.3. Puoruok daudz monta / Too much stuff!
3. nūdaļa / Chapter 3
- 3.1.1. Īsim iz veikalu? / Let's go shopping!
- 3.1.2. Īsim iz veikalu? / Let's go shopping!
- 3.1.3. Londonā vysod lej leits / It's always raining in London
- 3.2.1. Atsapyusšona katedralē / A rest at the cathedral
- 3.2.2. Atsapyusšona katedralē / A rest at the cathedral
- 3.2.3. Listening exercises
- 3.3.1. Gundegys ceļuojums / Gundega's journey
- 3.3.2. Gundegys ceļuojums / Gundega's journey
- 3.3.3. Tigrys i snīgs / Tiger and snow
4. nūdaļa / Chapter 4
- 4.1.1. Kas juojam leidza? / What do we need?
- 4.1.2. Kas juojam leidza? / What do we need?
- 4.1.3. Zyvu zupa / Fish soup
- 4.2.1. Breineiga kopejneica / A café full of surprises
- 4.2.2. Breineiga kopejneica / A café full of surprises
- 4.2.3. Listening exercise
- 4.3.1. Sīvīšu sarunys / Among the women
- 4.3.2. Sīvīšu sarunys / Among the women
- 4.3.3. Izaklausa gordai! / Sounds delicious!
5. nūdaļa / Chapter 5
- 5.1.1. Amerikys rodi / American relatives
- 5.1.2. Amerikys rodi / American relatives
- 5.1.3. Šudiņ īt švaki / I'm not okay today
- 5.2.1. Tigrim garšoj rūkys / Tigers eat arms
- 5.2.2. Tigrim garšoj rūkys / Tigers eat arms
- 5.2.3. Listening exercise
- 5.3.1. Īsim pi uorsta / We need a doctor's appointment
- 5.3.2. Īsim pi uorsta / We need a doctor's appointment
- 5.3.3. Slimeibys / Illnesses
6. nūdaļa / Chapter 6
- 6.1.1. Krāslys ir nūzogts / Somebody stole a chair
- 6.1.2. Krāslys ir nūzogts / Somebody stole a chair
- 6.1.3. Tu bīži syrdīs? / Are you often angry?
- 6.2.1. Policejis īcierknī / At the police station
- 6.2.2. Policejis īcierknī / At the police station
- 6.2.3. Listening exercise
- 6.3.1. Seneja draudzine / An old friend
- 6.3.2. Seneja draudzine / An old friend
- 6.3.3. Lels namīrs / Lots of worries
7. nūdaļa / Chapter 7
- 7.1.1. Krāsla pīdzeivuojumi / The chair's adventures
- 7.1.2. Krāsla pīdzeivuojumi / The chair's adventures
- 7.1.3. Līne gaida ryndā / Liene is waiting in line
- 7.2.1. Gars braucīņs / A long trip
- 7.2.2. Gars braucīņs / A long trip
- 7.2.3. Listening exercise
- 7.3.1. Īlyugums / An invitation
- 7.3.2. Īlyugums / An invitation
- 7.3.3. Kaida ir tova piļsāta? / What is your city like?
8. nūdaļa / Chapter 8
- 8.1.1. Vysim pateik Sovvaļnīks / Everyone likes music
- 8.1.2. Vysim pateik Sovvaļnīks / Everyone likes music
- 8.1.3. Cīši daudz hobeju / Many hobbies
- 8.2.1. Vysi sasateik Latgolā / Everyone meets up in Latgale
- 8.2.2. Vysi sasateik Latgolā / Everyone meets up in Latgale
- 8.2.3. Listening exercise
- 8.3.1. Jauna i lela saime / A new family
- 8.3.2. Jauna i lela saime / A new family
- 8.3.3. Kas aizraun sirdi? / What excites you?